HORSE SHIPMENTS - BASS ISLAND LINE
To and From Devonport Only
To book King Island to Devonport contact Jim McKenzie Agencies, 2 Shaw Street, Currie, King Island 03 64621415, Open Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm. Closed on public holidays
Delivery and Receival Depot, King Island, TasPorts, Grassy Harbour Road, Grassy, King Island, Open Monday to Friday 8 am to 3.30 pm, telephone 03 64611155.
Delivery and Receival Depot, Devonport: Corner of John and Wright Street, East Devonport. Phone 03 64 21 4910. Receival and Delivery is by arrangement only Monday to Friday 8.30 am till 4 pm. Customers must provide float details, consignment note details and photographic identification (drivers licence) to collect floats.
To book Devonport to King Island contact Tas Cargo Services, 146 Wilson Street, Burnie 03 6432 2990 or email
- Customers must ring Tasports on King Island 64 611 155 or TCS Burnie 64 322 990 prior to the horses traveling to confirm the ship is taking horses and what time the horse/s are to be delivered to the wharf for loading.
- Empty floats must be at the Grassy wharf no later than 8-10am on Friday's.
- Horses are loaded ex-King Island on Sunday's and loaded ex-Devonport on Monday's.
- All floats must be clean and not have any visible dirt as "dirty" floats will be quarantined by AQIS and incur a cleaning fee before being released.
- Freight is payable for each horse and the float must do a round trip. A refundable bond is payable if shipping an empty float.
- Payment must be made before the horse is shipped and can be Cash or EFTPOS, Cheques will not be accepted.
- Horse floats must be in good condition to travel and have a working jockey wheel.
- Customers must supply their own float. For customers who don't have their own float they can contact Neale Burgess - 03 6461 1344.
- To book horses and/ or floats from Tasmania to King Island customers must ring Tas Cargo Services 6432 2990 or email
- A Livestock Declaration must be completed and presented with a con note at the wharf when dropping off horses. The ship will not accept horses without the completed documentation.
- We currently do not ship horses from Melbourne to King Island.
- It's important to contact Tas Cargo Services 6432 2990 or
to book the empty float back to King Island. This will not happen automatically.
$325.60 Freight per Horse plus $173.40 Wharfage
(this covers Grassy to Devonport and Devonport back to Grassy)
$43.35 per wharf inclusive.
Total Round trip for one horse $499.00
$1,121.80 Empty Horse Float Bond One way (this includes two wharfages).
Paula Porter, Cranbourne, Victoria: 0484 607 470
R&V Horse Transport - Tas & Vic, Rodney Gee: 0458 782 558
Tas Horse Transport, Tas & Vic, Ginetta & Hayley: (03) 6496 1777 or 0428 141 419
S & M Transport Tas & Vic, Steven & Marni: 0408 102 528
Bass Strait Horse Transport, Tas & Vic, Vern Poke: (03) 6423 6229 or 0428 140 643